NAME: Scarlet Macaw
SCIENTIFIC NAME: Ara macao
RANGE: Found in southeastern Mexico to Peru, Bolivia, Paraguay, Brazil and Argentina.
- They live in humid lowlands and subtropical rainforests, open woodlands, river edges, and savannas.
- They mostly eat fruits, nuts and seeds, they also feed on nectar and buds.
- They are monogamous and mate for life.
- They are social birds that are popular as domestic and exotic pets.
- They learn to vocalize human words.
NAME: Yellow-Naped Amazon
SCIENTIFIC NAME: Amazona auropalliata
RANGE: Found from the coasts of Mexico to Costa Rica.
CHARACTERISTICS:- They feed on nuts, berries, seeds and fruits.
- They mimic sounds and phrases when in captivity.
- They have a playful personality.
- They are distinguished from other parrots by their green forehead and crown and yellow band across the lower nape and hindneck.
- Endangered by deforestation and illegal removal of young parrots for pet trade.
NAME: Mealy Amazon
SCIENTIFIC NAME: Amazona farinosa
RANGE: Ranges from Mexico to tropical Central America and South America.
CHARACTERISTICS:- They live in humid and semi-humid forests and plantations.
- They are social parrots that can be seen in pairs or in large flocks.
- In captivity they are know to be very gentle and calm.
- Their diet consists mainly of fruits, seeds, berries and nuts.
- They form monogamous relationships.
NAME: Red-Lored Amazon
SCIENTIFIC NAME: Amazona autumnalis
RANGE: Found from eastern Mexico to Ecuador and Brazil.
- They live in humid evergreen to semi-deciduous forests.
- They feed on fruits, nuts and seeds.
- They build their nests in tree cavities.
- The plumage is primarily green, with a red forehead and, in some subspecies, yellow cheeks.